Dragonfly larvae - seed Predator Fish
1. (Dragonfly larvae)
Dragonfly or papatong (Sunda), dragonfly or coblang (Java) on larval phase is a seed predator fish that is very fierce. Dragonfly larvae of hatchery fish pose a threat in some areas of aquaculture centers. Dragonfly larva has a very diverse local names, such as in West Sumatra is called: sipasin, children sipatuang; in North Sumatra called anakni siri-siri. While popular in West Java called kinikini. General name is Dragonfly larvae.
This includes classroom dragonfly insect of the order Odonata and the suborder Epiprocta. There are many tribes of this dragonfly, namely Austropetaliidae Cordulegastridae; Corduliidae; Gomphidae; Libellulidae; Macromiidae; and Neopetaliidae. In general, we classify people into two major groups of dragonflies (DAMSELFLY-DAMSELFLY) and dragonfly pin.
Systematics details are as follows:
Sub Order: Epiprocta
Genus: Anisoptera (dragonflies), Zygoptera (dragonfly pins)
Dragonflies and dragonfly pin can be distinguished easily. Dragonflies are generally relatively large bodied and perched with wings spread open or sideways. While dragonflies are generally small needles (although there are some rather large type), has the abdomen (body) of thin slender needle-like, and perch with closed wings, standing together at the back. Both types of these insects live near water, where they lay eggs and spend the pre-adult children.
Dragonflies and dragonfly pin widespread, in forests, gardens, fields, rivers and lakes, to the yard of the house. Found from the coast to a height of more than 3000 m asl (above sea level).
Dragonfly's life is never far from water. These insects reproduce by laying eggs. The eggs laid on plants in the water. There's kind of like dragonflies lay their eggs in stagnant water, but there are also types of dragonflies lay their eggs on the water like a rather heavy. After the marriage, the marriage would seem an egg the next day in the pool water surface. Shaped like a frog egg dibaluti long mucus secretions between 1-3 cm.
The eggs were not so obvious but it feels slippery to the touch in hand. Within two days usually eggs already hatched. After hatching, the larvae leave the shell in the slimy surface of the water and live floating in the water.
To ensure the survival of eggs and the child is, dragonflies lay their eggs on the water it deems safe and not contaminated with a deadly poison. In addition, they seem to have an instinct to put their eggs in locations that are widely available food. So do not be surprised if the eggs of dragonflies are found in many insects of rice water and also a lot of seed fish pond.
Once hatched, larvae (maggot) and nymphs (post larvae) dragonfly (called kinikini) live and develop in the bottom waters, metamorphosed, and eventually out of the water as an adult dragonfly. Most of the life cycle of dragonflies are in the water.
By metamorphosis, larval dragonflies with a total length of 2-3 cm began to climb the wooden stilts or dike pond not far from the surface water. Metamorphosis preceded the opening in the skin or shell around the base of the wings or neck.
Furthermore, the head emerged slowly. Beyond the body and the tail will follow so the whole body out, including legs and wings.
Despite the specter of hatchery fish, however, has not been much literature which discusses in detail the lives and experiences in kinikini prey fish. Morphological characteristics of dragonfly larvae in general, are as follows:
1. Segmented body-field and have three pairs of legs segmented-sections.
2. Having one pair of eyes and one pair of antennae on the head.
3. Body color of brown and black.
4. Has two pairs of wings that grow after body size reached 1.5 cm.
5. Has a jaw like a bailer or a jagged crescent serves as a hand to cut the prey.
6. Abdomen oval shape, and when viewed from below the surface of the stomach looks flat when viewed from above looked more sharp and triangular.
7. Comparison of body length and width of approximately 2: 1 or 3: 1.
Biological properties of dragonfly larvae obtained from field observation results show the following:
1. dragonfly larva spends its life in the water since the eggs hatch into larvae to reach a length of 2 cm. After that metamorphosed into nymphs and then would break away from the leather (carapace) to the child dragonfly. After this period of his life was turned into land.
2. dragonfly larvae breathe in water using internal gills.
3. Dragonfly larvae and nymphs are able to live out of water when placed in the ground for hours.
4. Have the ability to swim a rapid tool-driven pool located at the tip of its tail.
5. Likes to hide in the roots or aquatic plants and moss in the bottom mud bath or pool.
6. Can also be attached with the grip of his legs in the pool wall or the timber upright while spying the approaching fish.
7. Seeds preyed upon by fish as fast as lightning with his hands.
8. Having the nature of killing each other (cannibalism).
9. Pranced like to lift the stomach.
source: KhairulAmri and ToguanSihombing, PT.GramediaPustakaUtama, 2008