Microsporidiasis (Cotton Shrimp Disease)
Cause: The Microsporidia of the genera Thelohania, Nosema and Peistophora
Bio - Ecology Pathogens
• Named as cotton shrimp disease and / or shrimp milk.
• Having more than 8 spores in each capsule
• Virtually all penaeid shrimp species was reported the least susceptible to infection one type of parasite microsporidia group, although there are indications of specific local
• low pathogenicity, prevalence rates in a population generally not more than 5% and the resulting mortality was also relatively low
• Parts of the body of infected shrimp white milk and more soft
• white spores spread on the meat / muscle (internal parasites)
• Shrimp weak, easy to stress, decreased appetite, making it easy prey to predators sluggish, and easily die after handling (handling)
• Visual observation of behavior and clinical symptoms are quite clear
• Microscopic observation to see the morphology of microsporidia by making preparations for review of target organ infection. The observation that more clear on the characteristics of spores required specific staining.
• disinfection, drying of pond bottom and water sources that are free of microsporidia
• Shrimp are infected immediately destroyed, in order to reduce the potential for horizontal transmission
• To cut the parasite's life cycle, avoiding the feeding of trash fish infected with microsporidia
• No chemicals are effective for preventing and / or treat diseases microsporidiasis.
source : Kementerian Kelautan dan Perikanan, Dirjen. Perikanan Budidaya, 2010